SolidWorks has a large database of materials ready to be used, from metals and polymers to wood and composites. However, there are specific cases where custom materials need to be used that demonstrate particular properties. Materials can be added manually to be implemented with tailored physical and visual features to best model real life scenarios.
1. First, open the material dialog box by right-clicking the material in the feature tree and selecting Edit Material.
This opens the material dialog box. At this point, you have the choice to either create a completely new material or base it off an existing material with similar properties.
2. To base it off an existing material, locate the material by navigating the folders on the left hand side of the dialog box, right-click and select Copy. If you’re creating a new material proceed to the next step.
3. Right-click Custom Materials at the bottom of the left half of the dialog box, and select New Category. You’ll be given the option to name it straight away.
4. At this point, if you are creating a completely new material then right-click on your created category and select New Material, or if you are basing it off an existing material then click Paste.
5. Upon creation of a new material you are given the option to rename it instantly, but for a modified material right-click on the name and select Rename. From here you can enter values for the different properties of the material by simply clicking in the value boxes, as well as editing other aspects found through the tabs listed along the top of the right half of the dialog box.
6. After the properties have been edited appropriately, remember to click Save to save the modifications to the new material and click Apply use it on the selected part.
Get a Quick Quote
Please provide a few contact details and a member of the team will contact you back with 30 minutes (during normal office hours) with a no-obligation quote for SolidWorks
Request a Trial
It is possible to get trial versions of our software. To organise this please provide contact details using the form below. Note: Trial versions are not available to students.
Have a Question?
If you have a question about any of our products or services, including training and support simply provide a few details below and we will get back to you shortly.